- What's New
- Your Health
- Outdoor Spaces
- Smoke-Free Housing
- Emerging Issues
- Key Advocacy Campaigns
- Campaign Documents
- How Second-Hand Smoke Affects Hospitality Workers
- Economic Benefits of Ottawa’s Smoke-Free Bylaws
- How the Tobacco Industry Manipulates the Hospitality Industry
- The Truth About Ventilation and Designated Smoking Rooms
- Legal Rulings
- Smoke-Free and Loving it!
- Letters about Smoke-Free Ottawa
- Smoke-Free Ottawa Awards
- Smoke-Free Ontario
- Smoke-Free Canada
Online Poll Results
Thank you to everyone who responded to our online poll about smoke-free outdoor spaces in Ottawa.
A total of 481 individuals completed our survey between August 25, 2010 and May 31, 2011:
- 90% support smoke-free patios
- 89.9% support smoke-free parks and playgrounds
- 91.5% support smoke-free doorways to public places and workplaces
- 91.6% support smoke-free sports fields
- 88.9% support smoke-free beaches.
Survey respondents said:
"Have you ever pulled a small child away from the play structure when he wasn't ready because he can't breathe? It's heart-breaking. My child has the right to play wherever he wants, and shouldn't have to avoid parks because of smokers."
"I am tired of inhaling cigarette smoke whether it is on a restaurant patio, outside the mall, or just sitting out on my balcony of my apartment building.”
"I used to play soccer and couldn't stand it when spectators or players smoked on the side-lines! Breathing in that smoky air while I ran was disgusting."
All information at this site is protected by the Canadian laws of copyright. Unless permission is granted by the Ottawa Council on Smoking or Health, no person, group, or organization may copy, redistribute, reproduce or republish in any form, any material located on this web site.